Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Happy Birthday G-Bo!


January 15 is my dad’s birthday. We still celebrate it together. He would have turned 57 this year! I could not believe that last night when the boys mentioned it. I always try to prepare a meal that reminds me of him or something he really liked. Everyone who knows him knows he loved to grill. Devin slow cooked some pork for hours and then smoked it. It just fell off the bone. We had potato salad and beans with it. We ate the pork on rolls and made pulled pork sandwiches. Oh my gosh, the pork was awesome! Devin has become quite the griller using not only his own knowledge, but a few tricks my dad passed onto him. My dad was a huge carrot cake lover, but he also loved pies and cobbler. I went with a peach cobbler this year with vanilla ice cream. I had to work all day so Devin made dinner and the boys took flowers out to him yesterday. They showed me a pic. It is important for me to celebrate him still for the kids especially and we will do this every year. Aikman really enjoyed himself and loved the idea of G-Bo celebrating in heaven with Gigi and Jesus. Pete and Phil came over but Tio had to work and Tia and Adrian are out of town. We took Tio food though. He didn’t completely miss out. We all mentioned one thing we missed about him. Of course there are a billion things we could name but at that moment, here were our answers: Devin said his cooking, I said his voice, Aikman said everything, Pippa just smiled, Phil said his overall presence, Pete said his company and Tio texted in “his jokes and dadisms.” We miss him daily and wish he was still with us but we can continue to find ways to celebrate the life he lived as it was an awesome one! 

No caption needed. Yep, tasted even better than it looks. 

My squids
Pippa tore up her cobbler! She ate every last bite. 
Phil enjoying his dessert while looking like dad....
Pete being silly.....
Devin surprised and Monks being silly....
Me! 
Pete chilling with Apollo. Apollo celebrated too by eating the bone from the meat. Lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment