Thursday, March 17, 2011

Rattlesnake Round-Up!

So in all my years of living in Abilene, I have always wanted to attend the Rattlesnake Round-Up in Sweetwater. Sweetwater is about 35 minutes west of us. This year we finally did it! I had to basically tell Devin he was going, he hates snakes and he even told me the night after we went he had bad dreams of snakes. My poor husband lol Anyway, after getting my way with him and everyone else agreeing to go, we left about 11:35 to head out. I had fun. Was it hot? Yes. Was it crowded? Extremely. It was still a great experience and I am glad we went. Devin and Tia did not seem to have too much fun, but Tio and I did. I can’t say Monks hated or loved it, but my poor guy was getting over an ear infection so bad mommy award to me for taking him. He still was interested and I was so excited to take him to the carnival, but he was getting tired as were all of us, so we skipped that part. We did share some raspberry lemonade that was great and he ate one chip. Yes one chip. When we arrived, there was a coliseum you paid to go in and that is where the snakes were. They had a handling demonstration area, a weighing area, and a skinning and cooking area. The line to taste rattlesnake was like a mile long so we passed. It was crazy to see people handle these very venomous snakes! You could hear that rattle all through the coliseum. Too cool. They had several booths with items for sale and a craft show. There was a gun and knife show and several food booths. The carnival was a good walk away and on the other side of the park area. After looking at everything we were hungry. We went to some booths right outside the coliseum and Devin and I got nachos, a foot long corn dog, and some twister fries. Tia and Tio got foot long corndogs, super nachos and cheese twister fries. It was all typical yummy fair food, but as we walked out to leave, we saw food booths with roasted corn and turkey legs and something called a Cuban sandwich. Not sure what that is, but I bet it was great. We were a little sad we did not walk further down to see that but we were full and tired. We were there a little over 2 hours. It was high 80’s and we were all sweaty and thirsty. I changed Monks diaper before he was buckled in and since it was so warm, I just left his shoes and shorts off. I was a little jealous. I wanted to do the same thing but I guess after a certain age, it’s not that cute anymore. Who am I kidding, if Tio had not been there, I would have taken off my pants too in the back seat. J


Perfect snack for the road




People petting snake!



Unreal how crowded it was




Snakes!




Time for a hair cut!



1 comment: