Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Appointment

Devin picked me up from work at 2:40 and we headed to Dr. Steadman’s office. Aikman was still feeling really bad and even told me on the way there I going to see the doctor momma and I told him yes that he would feel better after. Pippa was just cooing the whole way and sucking on her hand. We went back and got both kids weighed. Aikman was 35 pounds even and Pippa was 17.9 pounds. He then came in and checked Aikman and when he was done said well he has a double ear infection and he could tell he was congested but it was nothing serious. We then asked him to check Pippa just to be safe since he was sick and I wanted him to look at her ears as a precaution. He checked them and her throat and said nope, they look good but I am pretty sure she has RSV. I said has what? He said I will test her but even if it came back negative I wouldn’t really be convinced because I can hear it in her lungs. I immediately freaked and started to cry and he assured me that it is more common than you think and I said so she has to be hospitalized? And he said no, no only 5% of cases are bad enough to need that. He left to get the nurse and they were going to swab in her nose to check. I told Devin omg, I know they are calling CPS. We are horrible parents, I am a horrible mom, our baby has RSV! He just laughed at me and told me to calm down but I was beyond upset! My poor baby! No symptoms, no signs of it, nothing! Had I not taken Aikman in, when would we have found it? They tested and sure enough positive for RSV. I was horrified. They showed us how to use a nebulizer and we gave her a treatment in the office along with Monks too just to clear his cough. He did not have it but said it would not hurt him to use it before bed and when he wakes up. Pippa had to have one every 4 hours like clockwork. Even when she slept. I had to wake her to make sure she got it. The nurse said we could just hold the mask over her and she could breathe it in but that machine sounded like a jackhammer in the quiet night. He said he wanted to see her back Monday first thing and then we would go from there. I don’t know how long I cried that day but it was long after Devin had gone to work. Pete and Phil kept the kids during the day for us since they could not go to the sitters for a week so that was a huge help so I did not have to use a whole week of time. The next few nights were tough as we had to get up every four hours and Monks was still sick too so both would be up at different times. I just felt bad for them. Nothing is worse than when your child does not feel well.  


Aikman was not into it at first but he got to where he would just wear it with the strap around his head and we would read the whole time. Takes about 4 minutes for the treatment.


Pips jsut sat there the whole time, never cared. She even got to where she wanted to hold it herself.


The Machine!


Monks after in his new jammies Tio and Tia bought him.


No comments:

Post a Comment